I know when you think of " Super Food " you probably think something green or something extremely healthy and probably not delicious. I know! Me too! I'm right there with you. However I'm about to totally change your mind when it comes to Super Food!
What is a Superfood anyways?
Glad you asked! A superfood is food that is PACKED with vitamins! Nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for your health and well-being. A food (such as salmon, broccoli, or blueberries) that is rich in compounds (such as antioxidants, fiber, or fatty acids) considered beneficial to a person's health. Superfoods increase energy and vitality, regulate cholesterol and blood pressure and may help to prevent or fight cancer and other diseases.
So what foods can I eat to get all the awesome benefits of Superfoods?
- Black Beans
- Black Garlic
- Bok Choy
- Brazil Nuts
- Broccoli Sprouts
- Brown Rice
- Brussel Sprouts
- Cacao Powder
- Chia Seeds
- Collard Greens
- Tart Cherries
- Goji Berries
- Greek Yogurt
- Mustard Greens
- Nutritional Yeast
- Nut Butter
- Red Grapes
- Sea Weed
- Shiitake Mushrooms
- Steel Cut Oats
- Sweet Potatoes
- Wheat Germ
The Bottom line.
This is a good list of Superfoods and although there is no official evidence on whether or not Superfoods claim to be " Superfoods " the fact of the matter is, is that these foods ARE GOOD FOR YOU. Most if not all of these are foods that any one person would probably not gain unhealthy weight from. Its always a good rule of thumb to obviously eat all things in moderation. With that being said one of my favorite Superfoods is Cacao Chocolate and Coconut Oil!!! MMM! Did you know that it can potentially battle free radicals, aids in depression, digestive health, weight loss and cardiovascular health! You don't have to tell me twice. I'm definitely adding more of this into my diet.
Now! After a little lesson on Superfood, on to that Recipe!
Superfood Toasted Coconut Chocolate Bites
- 1/4 chopped Mixed Nuts - pepitas, almonds, walnuts, pecans
- 1/4 cup chopped Dried Fruit - mango, apricots, banana chips, coconut
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 2 - 1.75oz Superfood Chocolate - Toasted Coconut Bars
- Parchment paper or wax paper
- Cookie sheet
This was extremely simple however if you have somewhere to go I would not make these till you have at least an hours time that you can spend melting down chocolate, chopping nuts and dried fruit.
- First layout your parchment or wax paper on a cookie sheet.
- Prepare your mixed nuts by picking which kinds you would like and chopping them up to bit size pieces. Do this with your dried fruit as well.
- Break up your Superfood Chocolate bars in a small mixing, microwavable safe bowl.
- Add in 1/2 Teaspoon Coconut Oil.
- Microwave them in 30 second intervals. ( I did this for 1 minute and 30 seconds.) Any remaining unmelted chocolate chunks can be stirred and will melt with the rest of the chocolate. You do not want to burn your chocolate by microwaving it for too long.
- Begin by spooning chocolate and drizzling over the parchment/wax paper till you have your desired amount.
- Sprinkle nuts and dried fruit over the chocolate.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes before eating.
Tip: Keep refrigerated as the chocolate melts quickly when touched. Also when storing your bites, I put parchment paper in a container and set them inside. This will ensure they stay cool and do not melt.
ENJOY! Let me know how you like them!